If you are a foodie and equally interested in your drinks as in food but got bored of serving those typical rums and wines in your gatherings then Nevada cocktail is that one extravagant drink of your choice. Nevada cocktail is one of the oldest rum cocktail recipes. It first appeared in W.C Whitfield’s 1940 book ‘Here’s How’. Nevada cocktail is simple to make but is a very refreshing and revitalizing rum cocktail drink. If you like grapefruit juice then you must try the Nevada cocktail as it is one of its key ingredients. Nevada cocktail can also be thought of as a boosted greyhound for rum drinkers.
Nevada Cocktail is a perfect mixture of grapefruit juice and rum with some drops of lime and a sweet dash of sugar and some bitters. With some trialing and twists of your own with these ingredients, one can get their perfect recipe of Nevada cocktail and serve their friends with this enchanted drink. Let us now share the ingredients, recipe, and some more tweaks of the Nevada cocktail so that you can enjoy the Nevada cocktail with your friends in any event and nice weather.
Ingredients used in Nevada Cocktail Recipe
- Light rum: 1 ½ Ounce
- Grapefruit Juice: 1 ½ Ounce
- Lime juice: 1 ounce
- Sugar: 2 teaspoons
- Sprint of bitters
- Lime or grapefruit wedges for garnishing
How to make Nevada Cocktail
- Following is the step by step recipe to make the Nevada cocktail:
- Amass all the ingredients
- Fill in a cocktail shaker with ice and dispense in rum, grapefruit and lime juice, sugar and bitters
- Now is the time to shake it very well
- Transfer the mixture into a cocktail or an old-fashioned glass and garnish with your choice of fruit and the perfect Nevada Cocktail is ready to be served
Tips for making Nevada Cocktail
Normally White or Light rum is used in Nevada cocktail however some consistent consumers of rum have a preference to try it with bold rums or any other rum of their choices like Gold rum, aged rum, spiced rum, and navy rum. You can try it with different rums to find out your favorite rum for the Nevada cocktail.
Like rums, people use a variety of grapefruit juices to make the Nevada cocktail as well. Pink Grapefruit juice is a common ingredient to make Nevada cocktail but you can try it with white and ruby red grapefruit juice as well.
Fresh Citrus juices do wonders for cocktails and boost their tastes so freshly squeezed lime juice is the best option for Nevada cocktail to make it a perfect drink.
One might think that there may not be an option for sugar but there are. Superfine sugar is the common choice for Nevada Cocktail but some suggest using powdered sugar as well. Drink sweetener is also a good option if you worry about sugar granules so simple syrup can also be used to make Nevada Cocktail.
There are plenty of picks for bitters to be used in Nevada cocktail recipe but aromatic bitters are common e-g Angostura Bitters, Regan’s Orange bitter. You can also experiment with some new flavors like peach, lemon, etc.
Variations in Nevada Cocktail Recipe
People try many variants of Nevada Cocktail however following are some popular ones
Heavy on Rum Variations in Nevada Cocktail Recipe
A prevalent variation of Nevada cocktail for the people who like more rum than juices is one that uses bold rum in more quantity. Ingredients and recipe for this variation of Nevada Cocktail are as follows.
Ingredients Used In Heavy On Rum Variations in Nevada Cocktail Recipe
- Navy rum: 2 shots
- Grapefruit Juice: 1 shot
- Lime Juice: ½ shot
- Sugarcane syrup: ½ shot
How to make it:
- Put ice in the cocktail shaker
- Put in all the ingredients in the cocktail shaker
- Shake well
- Strain into cocktail glasses and enjoy your Nevada cocktail with the intense flavor of rum
Heavy on Lime Variations in Nevada Cocktail Recipe
Some people like the flavor of lime more than grapefruit and that how they want their Nevada cocktail to be citrusy. Following are the ingredient and recipe of Nevada cocktail’s lime variant
Ingredients Used In Heavy on Lime Variations in Nevada Cocktail Recipe :
- Rum: 1 ½ ounce
- Lime Juice(preferably fresh):1 ½ Ounce
- Grapefruit Juice: 1 ounce
- Powdered Sugar: 3 teaspoons
- Bitter of your choice
How to make it:
- Pour all the contents in the cocktail shaker with ice
- Shake it very well until sugar is dissolved. You can adjust the quantity of sugar according to your choice
- Transfer the compound in the glass and enjoy your Nevada cocktail with lime in hot summer
How strong Nevada Cocktail is:
Nevada cocktail is the lightest drink in the range of those martini style drinks. All the juices dilute the rum and bring down the alcohol content to 1 3 percent ABV (26 proof).
Recommended rums for The Nevada Cocktail Recipe
- Castillo White Light Rum(Buy Now)
- Charbay Tropical Islands Rum(Buy Now)
- Coruba Dark Rum(Buy Now)
- Cruzan Black Strap Rum(Buy Now)
- Cruzan Dark Rum Estate 2 Year(Buy Now)
Additional Nevada Cocktail Recipe Resources
If you want to truly become an expert in making a Nevada Cocktail, it’s important to get as all-encompassing a viewpoint on how to make the cocktail as possible. For this reason, below are three additional Nevada Cocktail recipe resources for you.
- Nevada Daiquiri Cocktail Recipe – Difford’s Guide
- Nevada Cocktail Rum Recipe – The Spruce Eats
- Nevada Cocktail – in the Mix Magazine
Additional Recommended Rum Recipes
At times, you may not be interested in a Nevada Cocktail. If you’re on the hunt for a list of strong Nevada Cocktail recipe alternatives, below are four great options that may tickle your fancy.