The jungle bird is a fun and amusing tiki cocktail. It is the all-time favorite party drink with some stimulating twists. In the early 1970s, the Jungle bird cocktail was crafted for the first time in Malaysia at the well-known Aviary Tavern. The recipe is itself an exciting way to craft the alluring rum cocktail.
The main ingredients of the perfect jungle bird cocktail are of course rum, lime, and pineapple the only unusual ingredient is Campari! The fruits in the jungle bird aid to blend the cocktail bitterness, while the simple syrup and dark rum carry in a hint of sugary melodiousness that creates an amazing taste.
The star ingredient of this super cool recipe is the garnishing. You can use pineapple slices with some mint leaves and finally cherry on the top in literal meanings, to make a “jungle bird” decoration for the cocktail glass. Our best and simple recipe brings the irresistible taste that you can relish pompously.
Ingredients for Perfect Jungle Bird Recipe
- Dark rum (1.5 ounces)
- Campari (0.75 ounce)
- Simple syrup (0.5 ounces)
- Pineapple Juice (1.5 ounces)
- Fresh Lime Juice (0.5 ounces)
- For Garnishing slices of pineapple and a few mint leaves and some pineapple leaves
- Maraschino Cherry one or more (for topping in garnishing)
How to Make Perfect Jungle Bird Cocktail?
- Gather up all the ingredients.
- Pour the Campari, dark rum, pineapple juice, lime juice, and simple syrup into a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes.
- Shake it, shake it, and shake it energetically.
- Strain the cocktail with the help of a sieve into your favorite glass or container with ice cubes.
- Now, it is the time for the most awaited part that is garnishing. Use slices of pineapple as per your taste decorated with a maraschino cherry and some mint leaves that will give the jungle bird cocktail a complete forest look.
- Serve it and enjoy it with friends and family!
How to gather garnish for the Jungle Bird cocktail?
Take the whole pineapple, and cut it into 0.5-inch-thick rings then slice these rings into a triangular shape. Gather some pineapple leaves of different sizes and stack them on each other.
Like the smallest leaf on the top. Pin the maraschino cherry with the help of a cocktail skewer on top of the stacked leaves. Arrange this leaf arrangement like a bird’s feathers to give the jungle look and feel.
Some Tried and Tested Tips for The Perfect Jungle Bird Recipe
In the jungle bird cocktail, the preferred rum is dark one over the white rum. And the popular mixing rum in the cocktail is strong flavored Jamaican rums. You can experiment with Cruzan, Dark Bacardi, or Black Seal Gosling.
The jungle bird cocktail is all the time served with a single and large ice piece. For this purpose, one can easily find square molds of two inches’ thickness. Otherwise, an ice ball is a good option; this will lessen the dilution time of the cocktail.
If lime juice directly squeezes into the drink, it will give it a refreshing hint. For the balanced flavor of the jungle bird drink, concentrated simple syrup that is 1-part water with 2 parts sugar. Always use fresh pineapple juice for the relish wild taste.
History of The Amazing Jungle Bird Cocktail
The first on paper the jungle bird recipe was dug up by Jeff “Beach bum” Berry in “The New American Bartender’s Guide” that was (formerly printed in 1989), which he penned down about in the book “Intoxica”. However, the jungle birds cocktail creation is an old date that is often credited to 1978. Kim Choong1 found it in the former part of that decade from people who worked at the Kuala Lumpur Hilton.
In 1973, beverage manager Jeffrey Ong invented the jungle bird cocktail. He opened the hotel and presented this amazing jungle cocktail as a welcome drink to his consumers. The cocktail got its name in the honor of the Aviary Bar that has an inspiring exhibition of captive birds. Today, the jungle bird cocktail is the best seller cocktail in several bars.
Alcohol Content of Jungle Bird Cocktail
As the dark rums vary in alcohol intensity, so do the jungle bird cocktail as it is the main ingredient. Often the jungle bird is a mild cocktail that is a bit stronger than a wine glass. For instance, one serving of the jungle bird cocktail drink with 80 proof rum has around 15 percent alcohol by volume that is 30 proof.
Recommended Rums for Perfect Jungle Bird Recipe
- Pyrat Cask 1623 Dark Rum(Buy Now)
- Plantation Grande Reverse Rum(Buy Now)
- Pyrat XO Reserve Planters Gold Rum(Buy Now)
- Rhum Barbancourt 8 Year(Buy Now)
- Rhum Clement Premiere Canne(Buy Now)
Additional Jungle Bird Resources
If you want to truly become an expert in making a Jungle Bird, it’s important to get as all-encompassing a viewpoint on how to make the cocktail as possible. For this reason, below are three additional Jungle Bird recipe resources for you.
- Jungle Bird Cocktail Recipe – Liquor.com
- Jungle Bird Cocktail Recipe – The Spruce Eats
- Jungle Bird Cocktail Recipe – Make Me A Cocktail
Additional Recommended Rum Recipes
At times, you may not be interested in a Jungle Bird. If you’re on the hunt for a list of strong Jungle Bird recipe alternatives, below are four great options that may tickle your fancy.