Hot Buttered Rum — the most popular drink of winters! With the warm and sweet taste, the rum gives the ultimate luxurious feel. The hot buttered rum has an ancient history. And it is made by various methods. For these winters, from several hot buttered rum recipes, we pick some of the best recipes for you.
The simple and quick recipe of hot buttered rum is to just combine one or more drinks in the dark rum. But for some special occasion or winter party, one needs an exceptional recipe that can be made in bulk so, it can be consumed without any hassle.
Some authentic tips can preserve your bulk batch of hot buttered rum with all flavors intact. Always remember that, at the time of pour, never use boiling hot water because it will decay all the flavors. Instead of boiling, use Luke warm water. Another tested tip is that you can make your hot buttered rum flavor richer by one or one and a half tablespoon of butter in it.
Let’s jazz up your Christmas eve with our best hot buttered rum recipes. In these recipes, you can also replace the rum with whiskey as per your preferences.
Ingredients for Perfect Hot Buttered Rum Recipe
- Soft butter (1 tablespoon)
- Brown sugar (1 pinch)
- Powdered cinnamon (1 dash)
- Powdered nutmeg (1 pinch)
- Powdered allspice (1 pinch)
- 1 plop of vanilla extract
- Dark rum (2 ounces)
- Lukewarm water (5 ounces)
How to Make Perfect Hot Buttered Rum?
- Gather up all the ingredients.
- Put the sugar, spices, and butter into the base of a mug or an Irish coffee glass and muddle or stir well.
- Pour in the rum and coat it with Luke warm water.
- Mix. Serve and savor!
- Write the remaining article here maybe some tips etc.
Is Hot Buttered Rum Strong?
Hot buttered rum is a mildly sharp drink. The alcohol content can be diluted but, dilution depends upon the drinker preferences. The simple formula for dilution of any drink is, pour more water get a more diluted drink. With an exact measure of 5 ounces’ water and 80-proof rum, the drink balances in around ABV 10% that is 20 proof.
Hot Buttered Rum Recipe Variants
You can try these variations in the above recipe:
For a bigger batch of the hot buttered rum, mix well all the following ingredients to make a smooth batter that can be used later.
Hot Buttered Rum Recipe Ingredients
- Brown sugar 3 cups
- Unsalted butter ½ cup
- Honey 2 tablespoon
- Dark rum or rum extract ½ tablespoon
- Vanilla essence 1 teaspoon
- Powdered nutmeg, all spices, and cinnamon 1 teaspoon
Combine them well with a hand whisker or electric mixer. This batter will yield 30 servings.
The batter can be stored in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. After an hour of making the batter, it could be used for making drinks. This batter has a shelf life of a few weeks but if you freeze the batter, its shelf life will increase up to two months.
How to Use This Batter for Preparing Hot Buttered Rum Drink?
Pour 1 ½ ounce of rum into your favorite rum glass or mug, add a heaped spoon of the stored batter and pour Lukewarm water slowly on top of it.
The bulk batch batter mix is extravagantly tasteful if you just pour hot water on the batter only without rum. One or two tablespoons of the batter with some cream and sugar and a dash of butter will give you a soothing and warm mocktail. You can enjoy your simple drink without liquor on cold winter evenings.
Another Mixing Method
- For a funky way to blend the hot buttered rum, give a try to a red hot poker. The warmth naturally blends all the essences, producing a delicious, delightful drink. This drink is a great option for camping and can also be used for dark beer browning.
- Beer caramelizing needs careful handling and also require some patience, as the process takes time. Also, it is best to use thicker glass mugs or containers for safe and better results.
- Select a clean rod and put it in the flame until it becomes red hot.
- Jiggle off ashes and gradually place it into the already prepared drink. Be careful while doing so. The rod should not touch the walls of the glass. Otherwise, the glass will burst with extreme heat.
- After 15 or 10 seconds, remove the rod, and while camping, relish hot buttered rum.
Recommended Rums for A Hot Buttered Rum
- Fernandes Rum Dark Rum (Buy Now)
- Flor de Cana Centenario 21(Buy Now)
- Pussers Dark Rum British Navy (Buy Now)
- Pyrat Cask 1623 Dark Rum (Buy Now)
- Pyrat XO Reserve Planters Gold Rum (Buy Now)
Additional Hot Buttered Rum Resources
If you want to truly become an expert in making a Hot Buttered Rum, it’s important to get as all-encompassing a viewpoint on how to make the cocktail as possible. For this reason, below are three additional Hot Buttered Rum recipe resources for you.
- Hot Buttered Rum | LemonsforLulu.com
- Hot Buttered Rum – Whipped It Up
- Hot Buttered Rum – Bitz & Giggles
Additional Recommended Rum Recipes
At times, you may not be interested in a Hot Buttered Rum. If you’re on the hunt for a list of strong Hot Buttered Rum recipe alternatives, below are four great options that may tickle your fancy.