Bacardi Superior review last updated July 2023.
With its iconic bat logo, Bacardi Superior is an instantly recognizable spirit across the globe. The Bacardi brand’s rich history starts with founder Don Facundo Bacardi Massó, who established the company in 1862 in Santiago de Cuba. After significant success and growth, political shifts in Cuba led Bacardi to relocate its primary operations to Puerto Rico in the 1960s, where Bacardi Superior is produced today.
Bacardi Superior is crafted using a blend of rums aged between one and two years and then charcoal filtered to remove any color, resulting in a clean, clear spirit. Despite being light in color and body, it carries a distinctive flavor that has been a part of countless classic cocktails.
As the cornerstone of Bacardi’s vast portfolio, Superior has played a significant role in popularizing rum as a key ingredient in cocktail-making. From beach bars to sophisticated city lounges, Bacardi Superior is celebrated for its versatility and smoothness.
About The Rum And The Brand
Bacardi Superior is one of the most iconic products from the Bacardi portfolio. Its name, “Superior,” reflects its premium standing within the white rum category. It’s known for its crisp, clean taste and subtle citrus notes, making it an ideal choice for many classic cocktails, including the famous Mojito and Daiquiri.
Bacardi is a well-recognized and reputable name in the rum industry. Founded in Cuba in 1862 by Don Facundo Bacardí Massó, it has grown to become one of the largest, family-owned spirits company in the world. Despite its global scale today, the Bacardi brand still holds tight to its roots with a bat as its logo – a nod to the fruit bats that lived in the brand’s original distillery in Cuba.
Fast Facts About Bacardi Superior
- Type: Light Rum. Bacardi Superior falls under the category of light (or white) rum. This type of rum is typically lighter in flavor compared to its gold and dark counterparts. It is often distilled for longer periods and through a process that removes more impurities. The rum is aged in white oak barrels, then filtered to remove any color, resulting in a clear, light-bodied spirit.
- Price Point: 1 (Most Affordable). Bacardi Superior is positioned as an affordable rum, catering to a wide audience. Despite its accessible price point, the rum doesn’t compromise on quality, offering a crisp and clean flavor profile that appeals to both casual consumers and connoisseurs alike.
- Location: Distilled in Puerto Rico. Bacardi Superior is produced in Puerto Rico, an area steeped in rum production history. Puerto Rico’s warm climate and fertile soil conditions are ideal for growing sugarcane, the primary ingredient in rum. Bacardi’s Puerto Rican distillery employs traditional methods with state-of-the-art facilities to consistently produce high-quality rum.
- Alcohol Volume: 40%, the standard strength for many spirits.
- Aging Process: Bacardi Superior is aged for 1 to 2 years in carefully selected oak barrels. After aging, it goes through a process of charcoal filtration to achieve its crystal clear appearance.
In summary, Bacardi Superior is an excellent example of a quality, light rum at an accessible price point. Its crisp, clean profile and subtle citrus notes make it a versatile choice for a variety of cocktails, solidifying its status as a bar staple around the globe.
Distilling The Full Bacardi Superior Picture
Below, I will dive into the most important aspects of Bacardi Superior. This includes its appearance, nose (aroma), taste, and mouthfeel. Please remember, this is all somewhat subjective, and your mileage may vary.
In the glass, Bacardi Superior presents as crystal clear, with an almost luminous quality. This rum has no color, reflecting the extensive charcoal filtration process it undergoes after the aging process. This process removes any potential color gained during its time in oak barrels.
The clarity of Bacardi Superior has an almost water-like appearance. This can be deceptive because this rum definitely carries more character than its appearance might suggest. Pouring Bacardi Superior results in a clean, bright stream that settles quickly in the glass, demonstrating its light body. The lack of viscosity is immediately evident. This is because there are no ‘legs’ or ‘tears’ that typically slowly drip down the glass with more aged and thicker spirits.
This light, clear appearance makes Bacardi Superior a popular choice for cocktails. The reason for this is because it doesn’t alter the color of the final drink. This allows the other ingredients to take center stage visually while the rum subtly complements them in the flavor profile.
Upon first approach, Bacardi Superior reveals a light, clean, and fresh aroma that is indicative of its classification as a light rum. The nose isn’t overly complex, reflecting the rum’s purpose as a versatile spirit intended for mixing.
There are predominant notes of tropical fruits, including a distinct banana essence and a subtle hint of coconut. As you allow the rum to breathe, a slight whisper of sweet vanilla surfaces, delicately balancing out the fruitiness. A hint of almond adds a touch of nuttiness and complexity.
Underneath these initial fragrances, there is a faint whiff of the charred oak barrels used in the aging process. This imparts a mild smoky character that hints at the rum’s short but significant time spent maturing.
Tasting Bacardi Superior offers a different experience from the nose. Where the aroma is fresh and fruity, the taste introduces a smoother, sweeter side of this light rum.
The initial taste reveals a combination of vanilla and almond that were suggested in the aroma. These notes bring a soft, almost creamy sweetness that is quickly cut through by a mild citrusy note, keeping the rum from becoming overly sweet.
In the mid-palate, the tropical fruitiness promised in the aroma starts to come through, with subtle hints of banana and perhaps a touch of ripe pineapple. This fruity core enhances the rum’s clean and crisp profile.
The finish of Bacardi Superior is relatively quick but leaves a pleasantly smooth and dry aftertaste. There is a residual sweetness, along with a light touch of the oak influence, offering a brief reminder of the rum’s journey from the barrel to the bottle.
Despite its light body, Bacardi Superior has a delightful smoothness in the mouth. It carries a certain lightness that allows it to glide over the palate easily. There’s a mild warmth as the rum moves through, a gentle nod to its 40% alcohol volume.
There is a slightly oily texture to Bacardi Superior, likely a result of the aging process. This gives the rum a bit of body and weight, helping to carry the flavors and extend the tasting experience. Despite this, it does not linger overly long on the palate, making it an excellent candidate for cocktails as it doesn’t overpower other ingredients but blends harmoniously with them.
In essence, Bacardi Superior provides a clean, smooth experience with a surprisingly layered flavor profile considering its light and clear character. It is an ideal rum for those looking for a spirit that offers more than just a simple mixer, but rather one that brings its own subtle flavors to a cocktail.
Bacardi Superior Cocktail Suggestions
Being a light rum, Bacardi Superior shines brightest when used in classic rum cocktails where its clean and slightly sweet flavor profile can complement other ingredients without overpowering them.
For a full list of rum-based cocktails to enjoy, please click here.
- Mojito: In a Mojito, Bacardi Superior melds with fresh mint, lime, sugar, and a splash of soda water to create a refreshing cocktail perfect for a hot day.
- Daiquiri: A classic Daiquiri with Bacardi Superior, fresh lime juice, and a touch of simple syrup creates a tart, sweet, and bright cocktail. The rum’s smoothness and subtlety allow the other ingredients to stand out.
- Cuba Libre: When paired with cola in a Cuba Libre, the light vanilla and tropical fruit notes of Bacardi Superior add a layer of complexity to this simple, classic drink. A squeeze of fresh lime juice brings out the rum’s light citrus notes.
- Piña Colada: The traditional Piña Colada cocktail showcases Bacardi Superior’s ability to balance and blend with strong flavors like pineapple and coconut cream. The rum’s lightness keeps the cocktail refreshing and prevents it from being overly heavy.
Our Overall Impressions of Bacardi Superior
Bacardi Superior, despite its classification as a light rum and its transparent appearance, offers a pleasantly surprising depth of flavor. Its crisp, clean character combined with subtle notes of tropical fruit, vanilla, and almond provides a versatile and balanced base for numerous cocktails. This rum isn’t just a neutral spirit; it’s one that carries its own weight in terms of flavor.
Although Bacardi Superior may not have the complexity of aged or dark rums, it isn’t trying to. Its goal is to be a reliable, mixable rum that serves as a go-to for bartenders and casual drinkers alike. In this, it succeeds tremendously. Its affordable price point and smooth profile make it an excellent choice for anyone seeking a quality light rum that doesn’t break the bank.
- Aroma: 3.5/5. The aroma is light and fresh, offering hints of tropical fruit, sweet vanilla, and a touch of oak.
- Taste: 4/5. Despite being a light rum, Bacardi Superior delivers a surprisingly layered flavor profile, showcasing notes of almond, vanilla, and subtle tropical fruits.
- Value: 5/5. Given its affordability and versatility, Bacardi Superior offers excellent value.
- Overall: 4/5. Bacardi Superior is a solid, reliable choice in the light rum category. Its combination of smoothness, subtle flavors, and affordability makes it an excellent choice for both cocktail crafting and light sipping.
Bacardi Superior is widely available across the United States and can be found at virtually any liquor store. For online shoppers, it’s available on numerous online liquor store platforms, as well as through various delivery services. Remember to check local laws regarding online purchases and delivery of alcohol. As of its broad availability and affordable price, Bacardi Superior is a highly accessible choice for anyone looking to explore the world of rum or craft flavorful cocktails.